Tuesday, 1 November 2011

Biting

Thanks for the words of support on my last post. We are trying to work things out and getting some outside help too, but it's not good at the moment. An understatement perhaps.
Last week I really thought it was over and I was going to become a single parent. This week I'm hoping we can work it out, but really my feelings change from hour to hour, from day to day. Exhausting.

On another note, I just came from a good friend's house. She and another friend have 2 year olds both of whom are a bit wild lately, and I know another friend won't take her child there to play anymore. The one bit C very hard on the hand (its bruised and indented but no blood drawn) and the other pulled her hair.
Poor C who is the happiest, smiliest baby cried most of the time we were there and poor thing didn't know what hit her!

So I was wondering....

  • What would you do in that situation? How would you react?
  • And (just in case for the future) if your child was the one doing the bullying, what would you do?

In this situation, I swiftly removed C and comforted her but those kids move fast! I wasn't far from her and I still couldn't stop it :( And, I held onto her after that and didn't stay long.
And the respective parents - the one put the child in time out and then made him apologise to C (which he did with a self satisfied smile) and the other said something like 'we don't pull hair' and left it at that.

Very interested to hear your opinions on this one!

Hope you are all well.
Sabine
xx

3 comments:

  1. How awful! I would be very upset if another child bit my baby. I would have said something to the child because it's usually a reality shock to be scolded by someone other than your mother, and I definitely would have left and not gone back until the kid calmed down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon wrote a great post on this: http://sharonannevanwyk.wordpress.com/2011/08/31/on-biting/

    On the marraige thing, I just wanted to say that our marriage is now better than I ever imagined it could be. The separation was a living hell, but I can honestly say that the outcome has been amazing. Don't believe people who say it can't be done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh, just hang in there.

    And the biting? well i have one 2 year old who bites the other. It kills me and we have done time out and saying sorry and whatnot. Latest? We told her we'd smack her and she bit again and got a smack.

    THe jury's still out...

    ReplyDelete